Friday, November 16, 2012

My 30th Interview: My Distance Running Man Crush John Jefferson

The new interview is my Pro Distance Running Man Crush John Jefferson


1. How did you get started in running? Sports, I started running for sports. On the soccer field, on a baseball diamond and the two miles to the beach with a surfboard under my arm.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running? It's a niche sport so there are a lot of people who don't understand distance running. I don't blame them, the sport only resurfaces every four years in the mainstream media. Nascar is one of the biggest sports in America and I don't have the first clue how it works or what the draw is, so if I can't get interested in one of our biggest sports here in America I don't expect everyone to be into distance running.

3. What are you current PR's? Mile: 3:56.86, 1500m: 3:39.39, Wave: 10-12ft at Surf break just west of Sunset Beach North, Shore Oahu, Fish: 15 pound Lincod off the Oregon Coast, Beard: 5 months of growth. ( @omfgchocotaco to a beard contest?)

I think that there is a Bread contest on the rise between A.J. Acosta vs. John Jefferson. I would like to see that contest

4. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you? Very different, at the end of the day as a professional distance runner its about being an individual and being selfish, finding out what you are running for, where as in college you have team obligations.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why? Professional distance runner? I wont answer that because I will leave someone out. I will tell you I do look up to other athletes outside of running. Captain Nate Stansberry, professional fly fisherman, once fishing for Albacore Tuna he ate the beating heart of a tuna in front of a client, put his arm up to the elbow, into an endangered rockfish's mouth to retrieve the hook and taught Nick Symmonds everything he knows about yanking the hook right out of a Steelhead's mouth or snagging the bottom. Andy Bayer is my favorite college athlete.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running? Best thing about distance running is winning a race, although it is getting harder and harder to come by with the talent we have here in America. Worst thing are the injuries.


7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career? Breaking four minutes in the mile for the first time because I did it with my #broforlife Sean and we went 1-2 in the race.

8. Goals for 2013? Stay healthy.

and hopely one of you goals and it is one of my goals of 2013 is run with you and the rest of the T.I.E. (Team Indiana Elite) Running Group

No comments:

Post a Comment