Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The 26th Interview: Sam Evans, #britirishtakeover bro for life

This interview is about one of my favorite #britirishtakeover bros, University of New Mexico's Sam Evans.

1. How did you get started in running?

I got started in running when I was in High School. Me and my friends through school enjoyed doing all sports so we all attended the Track meets to compete for our school together so as well as enjoying the competitive side to the sport I have always been attracted to the social side associated with hanging out and meeting other athletes.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?

It's the definition of what the human body can achieve.

3. What are you current PR's?

800m - 1.49
1500m - 3.47
Mile - 4.05

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?

I struggle to do this to be honest. I like to train then go home and play Call of Duty and Fifa 12 on the xbox. (Lt Evans63 - Add me anyone who plays these two games).
I try to pick classes that I know wont require too much homework and I also try to pick classes so that my schedule is as beneficial to my Xbox addiction as possible. I'm certainly no role model for anyone.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?

My favorite athlete of all time is Steve Ovett. I just loved his ability, his confidence and his arrogance. Some people might not like arrogance in the sport and I would agree to some degree but no one can deny that it makes the sport interesting.

Another couple of athletes that I love are Kenenisa Bekele and Hicham El Guerrouj and I think we all know why.
6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?

The best thing about being a distance runner is the sense of achievement you feel for the rest of the day after a good workout or a good long run or any form of training.
The worst thing about being a distance runner is the sense of depression you feel for the rest of the day after a bad workout or hellish long run or any form of training.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?

My favorite moment in my distance running career is beating David Bishop in the Mile at Mountain West Conference Championships in 2011, only to lose to the NCAA Champ, Miles Batty.
Heres the link for anyone who wants to see me beat David Bishop in the Mile....

http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?do=videos&event_id=1654&folder_id=2504

8. Goals for 2012?

Goals for 2012 are to run as close to 3.40 in the 1500m as possible. Any other achievements are just a bonus.

9. What does the #Britirishtakeover mean to you?

#Britirishtakeover means quite alot to me. It's just a collection of British and Irish athletes who are all from small towns in our home countries who have dived into America and its awesome sports system. Me and Ross Millington often say to each other things like "Just two british guys walking through California" or things like that. Being apart of a small select group of British athletes in america is truly an honor and I am happy for all the success that we've had such as Chris O'Hare and Lee Emanuel winning their NCAA titles and I hope we can all grab a few more NCAA titles before its over. So good luck to us all and Train Hard. Win Easy.

I hope you guys like this interview

No comments:

Post a Comment