Sunday, March 18, 2012

The 23rd Interview: The Great One, Mitch Goose

The man with the coolest hair, Mitch Goose is the newest interview on this blog.

1. How did you get started in running?
I got started at school and pursued it more to benefit my performance at football or “soccer” as you guys would say. Eventually I discovered I wasn’t as good at football as I thought and began to enjoy running more as I got more successful at it. I found that runners as people were far more interesting and friendly than footballers so it started to take up more of my time as most of my closest friends were runners. My Dad ran a lot so I guess it was inevitable really given the fact that I showed a decent amount of natural ability.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I can’t really remember the last time I met somebody that showed a distinct lack of understanding. The only thing I usually have to explain is why I don’t run marathons.

3. What are you current PR's?
 Mile – 3.59.26
3000 – 7.51
5000 – 14.02

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
For me I’m in a very privileged position where I’m not overly busy with the student side of things as I’ve always been good with balancing my time and ensuring that I get my work done before it becomes a headache. If I was a normal student that wasn’t trying to optimize training benefits I would most likely leave everything to the last minute or not get it done at all. I think that whilst being a student-athlete can be stressful to balance because of travelling etc. I think it is a benefit to me as it provides a much needed structure to my days and knowing that I have to take advantage of certain free periods in the day to get assignments done.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
Favorite professional runner of the past - a British guy called Paul Evans. Paul is somewhat of a local hero to all the athletes in the county I’m from, Norfolk, as he achieved so much. He went to 2 Olympics, finishing 8th in the 10000 and then had a very successful road running career clocking 2.08 for the marathon. Paul is a very relatable guy that got into the sport at a late age and achieved everything he did through pure dedication and doggedness. Nobody worked harder than Paul. I’ve been fortunate to know him from a young age and have learned a lot thanks to his advice and encouragement.

Favorite present professional runner - Chris Thompson. Thommo is a genuinely great guy that has time for everyone and is a really funny chap. It hasn’t come easy for Thommo, despite being such a phenomenal talent when he was younger many injuries have interrupted his progress. It’s been great to see him comeback so strong over the past couple of years. I remember speaking to him in January ’10 after he’d just had a very disappointing Euro XC the previous month and the way he discussed how he’d learnt from the experience and explained his performance was admirable so I’ve been really pleased to see his good, well deserved fortune since then.

Favorite present college distance runner – The standard in the NCAA at the moment is so good that it’s hard to choose between everyone and as a competitor it’s dangerous to think to highly of someone you’re looking to beat. Despite this I have to say that I really admire Diego Estrada, Nick Lachman and Chris Derrick.

Favorite past college distance runners – Lenny Korir, Mo Khadroui and Harbert Okuti.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The best thing is knowing that you’re doing all you can to make the best of your talent and the worst is when you have forced time out of the sport because of illness or injury.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
It’s hard to choose one specific moment. My English Schools XC title stands out as I had to overcome a decent amount the previous 12 months to win so that was a satisfying moment. However, nothing beats representing your country. I’ve been fortunate enough to run for Great Britain 10 times, every time that I’ve raced wearing the Union Jack across my chest stands out as my favorite moment in the sport.

8. Goals for 2012?
After the disappointment of taking a fall midway through NCAA Indoors and therefore not achieving what I wanted the fire is certainly there to bounce back for the outdoor season. I have goals and I’m not going to rule anything out. My 5000 time needs serious revision as it doesn't represent my ability as focus on the 5000 happens to have come at time when I’m not firing on all cylinders for some reason. I’m looking to significantly reduce my 1500 PB as well as that PB stands from 2009.

9. What made you decide on this haircut which I am thinking about doing?
I’ve always had attention-grabbing haircuts, it’s all part of my race preparation. I experimented with having my hair flat last year and decided to make it different by continuing my tradition of pink hair that I had the previous couple of years. However, not preparing my hair on race day just felt strange so I decided to revert to a hairstyle that takes some arranging and this is what I landed on because I wanted to stop dying it. I wouldn’t recommend trying it for yourself though unless you’re prepared to get lots of weird looks from passers-by.

10. What does the #Britirishtakeover mean to you?
I’m very proud to be British and I make no secret of that, it’s good to see fellow countrymen that I’ve been racing since I was a kid achieving so much against such great opposition. I know there are many that don’t like the influx of British and Irish guys over here but we’re all just doing what we can to make the most of ourselves as athletes. Hopefully along the way we will contribute to improved American performances and people will look at the #Britirishtakeover as a positive for our American opposition.

This is one of my favorite interview of my #Britirishtakeover , so far. I think that Mitch Goose is one cool guy

No comments:

Post a Comment