Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The 25th Interview: Another #britirishtakeover Inteview, David Bishop

This is another great interview of one of my #Britirishtakeover Bro, David Bishop.

1. How did you get started in running?
I started running in secondary school (middle and high school were combined where i went to school). In PE class we had to do a cross country run every 2 weeks and I always won it. My PE teacher persuaded me to join a local track club that summer and I've never looked back!

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
No, I don't run marathons - it's middle distance!!!

3. What are you current PR's?
1:50, 3:41, 4:00 and I'm proud of my 10K XC PR, 29:58 haha

4. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?
I am lucky enough to be able to train full-time as I get some support from a few local companies back home as well as my family, which I'm very grateful for. The main difference is being able to plan exactly when I want to race. Last year, for example, I only got to run one fast 1500m (Mt SAC) and then had to get ready for championships (Conference, regionals, nationals) which took up most of may and June. This year I'll be able to spend more time running fast 1500s and chasing times, then get the championship work in after.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I always liked El Guerrouj, he was running when I was just getting into the sport and now he has left a great story. I also like Craig Mottram as he gave belief that it isn't all about genetics in mid/long distance running. Europeans can compete with Africans. After watching Derrick at NCAA indoors this year, who couldn't count him up there? It was inspirational running.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Its a bit of a double-edged sword. The best thing is its all down to you how fast you run. You don't need to rely on team mates or referee decisions. I always loved team sports growing up though, especially soccer. Therefore the worst thing is you don't always have a team to celebrate with when things go well.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
I have a couple of favorite moments I guess. Being told I had run 3:54 anchoring our DMR team last year was a good moment, celebrating our all-american. Stopping BYU from earning their 12th straight conference XC title, on their own backyard, was great, the celebrations among our team when it was announced will be a great memory for a long time! Walking out onto the track for the World University Games 1500m final, in front of a packed 60,000 seater stadium in China has to be right up there though. It gave me the hunger to train harder and be in a situation like that again.

8. Goals for 2012?
Finally beat Sam Evans!!! Run sub 3:40 for 1500m. Whatever comes first!
Awesome Goal and that would my goal if I was you

9. What does the #Britirishtakeover mean to you?
Its just about supporting the lads from home who've made the move out here to the States, to pursue the dream! We're all in the same boat and you just get to know each other as we've obviously got a lot in common and share the same goals.

I love this interview and this #britirishtakeover bro and I hoping that two #britirishtakeover bros, Ross Millington & Sam Evans are two more of my interview

No comments:

Post a Comment