Monday, July 30, 2012

The 27th Interview: The Sweetheart Gabiele Andersen

The Interview is back and my newest one is with The Sweetheart Gabiele Andersen

1. How did you get started in running?
I started running back in middle school when some of my friends took an interest in cross country. My small school happened to have some programs available before we were even in 7th grade, which is pretty cool. I played a lot of different sports when I was younger, but only running cross country/track and basketball stayed with me all through high school.
2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I tell them that running is such a cool sport because you can really progress and see what you're made of every day. Anybody can run-- and I like that accessibility of our sport.
3. What are you current PR's?
My current PRs are 2:02.83 for 800m, 4:04.84 for 1500m, 8:43.52 for 3000m, and 15:45.99 for 5000m. I set the 800m, 1500m, and 3000m PRs in the past few weeks in Europe.

4. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?
Professional running and college running are very different, in my opinion. In college, the team aspect is very important and everything you do is more or less centered around the team's success. I loved my college experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything! We won Big Ten team titles and broke records. Pro running is a lot more of an individual sport. It's different, but sometimes it is nice as a pro to be able to do what's best for you every single day. The flexible schedule I have as a professional has helped me to really become the best runner I can be.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
My favorite pro runners ever are Suzy Favor Hamilton, Kara Goucher, and Carrie Tollefson. You could say that I have a "Midwest Bias" because Suzy's from Wisconsin and Kara & Carrie are Minnesota girls. I grew up as a big fan of all of these women, it has been so wonderful to watch them rise up on the world stage from humble midwest beginnings!

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The best thing about being a distance runner is finishing a hard workout and that sense of accomplishment -- doing better than you thought you could! The worst thing is... that nervous feeling you get all day before doing a tough workout! It's also fun to travel and meet other runners -- that is one of the best aspects of being a professional runner.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
My favorite moment of my running career was probably winning my one state title in high school. I had tried and failed to win a title so many times, and I finally did it in my last race as a senior in the 800m! It was probably one of the happiest days of my life! Getting 2nd at NCAAs in the 1500m in 2010 was also an amazing feeling! That really propelled me to keep running after college.

8. Goals for 2012?
Right now I'm just finishing up my season and hoping to keep running fast! My goal for 2012 was to make the Olympics and PR in the 1500m -- I didn't accomplish the first one, but I did PR twice in the 1500 (4:06.46 at Oxy and 4:04.84 in Lignano). Later this summer I'm looking to go for a big PR in the 5k if I go back to Europe. Next year I want to make the World team in the 1500m!

2 comments: