Monday, July 9, 2012

Top 17 Olympic Track Trials Moments

In this blog is about my memories that I had while I was in Eugene, Oregon for The Olympic Track Trials and these are the best memories

17. Legends B-Ball Game
This was a B-Ball Game with former Olympic Track Stars, Male & Female, like Sandra Farmer Patrick, Mo Greene & JJK

16. Meeting Pro Athletes Left & Right
It was cool that I met Pro Athlete, ie Distance Runners, and that when they walked by after they finish to the Athlete arera people were surprised when the distance runner knew me.

15. Galen Rupp Question Answered
I bet you are wondering what this is about. The whole time I was in Eugene for The Trials I worked for Runnerspace. They were to get me a media pass but they couldn't so Chris from Runnerspace came to my hotel, which I had for only one day before I stayed at The U of O Dorms, he video taped me asking about 20-30 questions to different distance athletes and one of my questions that I asked Galen Rupp answered

14. David Torrence/Shannon Rowbury/ Leo Manzano
When I was wait to get autographs on my singlets at the Athlete Check-In/ Leaving Area when David Torrence came out and I got his autograph. A lot of times fans of the distance athletes say that they say you inspire me to get out and run. David told me that him, Shannon & Leo said that distance running fans like me but mostly me inspire them to get out and run every day

13. The All-Comers Meet
On the first day off from The Trials they had The All-Comers Meet on Hayward Field Track where you could either run the 100 or Mile based on your time for the mile they grouped you in. I was in the 5:30-6:00 minute mile pace and I ran 5:50. My first mile since high school.

12. The Wild Duck
During The Trials this restuant was the place to be to eat and hang out cause new Olympians and athletes that just ran in The Trials were there and The Duck had karkore as well

11. Pictures & Autograph
At The Trials I was getting Pro Track & Field Athlete's Pics and autograph but at The Trials people wanted pics with me and I even had two guys either high school or college age wanting my autograph

10. Dinner At Track Town Pizza
After The All-Comers Meet I had Dinner With Lynn UOfangirl and Jordan Guther but when we got there Jordan and I saw 5K runner Mo Trafeh and two of his friends so we had dinner with them. We learned a lot about Moracco cause that is where Mo is original from but he was running in The Trials for USA

9. Pre's Rock
This was worth the wait. Earlier in the week I went the wrong way to go to Pre's Rock so when I saw Mathias from UW-Whitewater out in Eugene at The All Comers Meet he said that we would run by Pre's Rock to show me where it was and it is hilly by Pre's Rock so we did a hill workout that day

8. Working for Runnerspace
When I was at The Trials I worked for two companies VS Athletics and RunnerSpace. I was to get a media pass for The Trials for RunnerSpace but they were asking for too many media pass so I just did Nitely Recaps about what happened that day to me and on the track

7. John Jefferson/A.J. Acosta
For those who don't know who John Jefferson is he is a 1500 meter runner that runs for Team Indiana Elite, ie TIE, and Steeplechaser Stephaine Garcia is his fincie. I bet you all know who A.J. Acosta is a guy who ran for University of Oregon and now is looking to be picked up for a running shoe company to sponcer him. John Jefferson gave me his bib number and A.J. Acosta has something for me that I hopefully think he is sending me

6. Maggie Vessey
WHy this is up is cause I know a lot of people thing that Maggie Vessey is intimating to talk to cause of he height but when I got to talk to here at The Wild Duck for a couple of minutes she is such a sweetheart

5. Saucony
This is a big one for me cause one night at The Wild Duck I was trying to get a table for one for dinner and Pro Distance Runner Tommy Schmitz & Saucony guy Juris Cooper were also getting a table at The Wild Duck but for 12. They asked me to join them and we talked about everything and by the end of the night Juris asked me if I wanted to be an Honorary Athlete for Saucony. They said that they are sending me somethings including Saucony shoes to run in

4. Trey Hardee
Everyone was talking about Ashton Eaton getting a World Record in the Decathlon but they forgot to talk about Trey Hardee's comeback from Tom Jon's Surgery that he had earlier this year. After two days of competing and when they left the track to pass by after the finish area I got a hand shake from my buddy Trey Hardee and then that Sunday I was to meet Trey before the Decathlon Private Party at The U of O Art Center and we never got to meet. This would have been top 2 if we got to meet just for a minute or two

3. Nick Symmonds
The reason that this is a memory is cause we I was walk back to my dorm from The Wild Duck I saw a bunch of guys that I didn't want to deal with cause they were a wild buch and the bunch of guys was Nick Symmonds and his clan. Nick saw me and asked me if I had my camera cause he wanted a picture of him and me together and then before he went to The Wild Duck to party he said to his friends about me, "This Guy Knows Run" about three time. That was the night that he won the 800 finals and was going to The Olympics. Then I met two guys asked me if I was Derek Rubis and then they said that they were going to a party at Stephen Finley, OTC-Elite Athlete, and I went.

2. Billy Nelson
Why this is number two is cause it is Olympic Steeplechaser Billy Nelson. Every morning but one I got to run with The Flotrack/Brooks Group on Pre's Trial and Amazon Trial. That morning when we got to Pre's Trial I saw someone that I thought I knew and it was Billy Nelson and we got to talk and run together for about 9 miles. That was the greatest day of my life

1. House Party With Pro Distance Athletes
This was by accident cause I was at The Wild Duck that night and talk to some of the Pro Distance Runners and they said that there was a house party at Stephen Finley's house with other Pro Distance Athletes and I thought to myself I know where Finley lives and this a chance of a lifetime to party with Distance Runners. It was cause earlier that day a bunch of people and myself were wanting at the athlete's area for Men's 1500 Olympians and didn't get to see them but at The Party I got to Party with Matthew Centrowitz and others like Will Leer, Phoebe Wright, A.J. Acosta and others. This was a perfect thing cause it was my last night in Eugene and I was trying to stay up all night cause I had a cab ride for 3:45 am that morning to get to the airport for my flight at 6 am and I was scaried that I wouldn't hear my alarm clock.

All in all I had an amazes ball of a time in Eugene, Oregon for The Trials

1 comment:

  1. How is Maggie Vessey only 6? You were going nuts about that over 24 hours after it happened!

    ReplyDelete