Saturday, December 31, 2011

Fifth Interview: Professional Steeplechase Josh McAdams

Well here we are for the fifth nterview and well finally got a Professional Distance Runner that I interviewed, Steeplechaser Josh McAdams. He is one of my Steeplechase Idols.

1. How did you get started in running?
My older sister, Melanie, would take me out on runs when I was probably in 4th grade. She ran this 5 mile loop and after a few times running with her, she eventually said, "You're not even tired! Why don't you go ahead." And I took off. I always knew I had talent because we ran the mile fitness test every year and each year I would set the school record. I just loved to run.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I tell them humans were born to run. It's natural and if you don't get it, there's something wrong with you...not the sport. Running is something everyone should be able to do and enjoy.

3. What are you current PR's?
My PR in the Steeple is 8:21. My mile is 4:00.34.
4. How did you get started in Steeplechasing?
After my two year mission in Thailand, I transferred to BYU. I believe the second day of practice in January, Coach Eyestone had all the new guys go over hurdles. He said I looked like a natural. That was that

5. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?
Right now pro and college are about the same except I have less time to devote to training. Since I'm in my last year of grad school, I really have to budget my time even more than undergrad. But the difference is I get paid to do what I love. More importantly, I train with the intent of big races. I don't have to worry about all the races of a collegiate schedule. And being able to travel without worrying about the expenses has been awesome. My wife and I have been able to see lots of the country and world because of running.

6. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I don't really look up to any runners that are exceptionally great in the sport as I do those that I have been a positive influence on me. Obviously my coach, Ed Eyestone has been a great mentor for me. Four-time NCAA champ, two-time Olympian, winner of many prestigious marathons, and back in the 80's the cream of the crop for American distance runners... but more importantly, the guy has great values as a husband and father. He has shown me how to balance running in life. It's people like him that I love to train with and surround myself with.

7. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best thing is being able to endure more mentally than what you're physically able to do. Worst part is that even though may be able to mentally push through it, sometimes you are just physically limited. Like trying to break 4:00 in the mile. The last 100m has been the bane of my attempts. Try as I may, my body just locks up and then that's that. 

8. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Favorite moment was definitely making the 2008 Olympic Team. That was a dream come true and it was just so rewarding to have all that hard work and sacrifice pay off. It was awesome because it wasn't just me, but Coach Eyestone, my wife, family, teammates, so many people played a part and it was like they all were able to celebrate in it.

9. Goals for 2012?
My goals for 2012 are 1) graduate from optometry school 2) make the Olympic Team. Of course I have some smaller goals to get me there but those are the big two.
I hope ,you like the first insight from the first Professional Distance Runner Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment