Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Second Interview: Zachary Ornelas Interview

Well here we go again and this is the Second Distance Running Interview. This interview is about Zachary Ornelas, who did a blog about me on his blog- Eat Run Swag & I am repaying him back by doing an interview/blog about him.

1. How did you get started in running?
My dad ran a lot of 5ks when I was really young so I got tired of watching him and I decided to start running too. I did my first 5k as a 7 year old, first 10k at 8, and was running track by 4th grade.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I tell people that don't get our sport to try and imagine what running 15 miles would be like. Then I ask them to imagine doing that every single day. Usually they respond with "that's what y'all do? You're crazy!"

3. What are you current PR's?
My current PRs are pretty weak, let's just say my first 2 years of college were 'learning years' and I didn't fully commit to the sport like I should have. So far I've run 9:07 for steeple, 14:45 for 5k, And 24:34 for 8k xc. I'd like to be at 14:20 or under this year and sub 8:50 for steeple!

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
Being both a student and a collegiate athlete is pretty tough. My freshman year I struggled with time management and both my running and my grades suffered from it. Thankfully I've got it down now and I've been Academic all-big 10 several times now with a gpa of 3.2. It's all about maturity and discipline really, it's up to you to set aside time to do your work and studying.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
my favorite distance runner on the guys side is Nick Willis because he's a friend of mine and he's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet in addition to being one of the most dedicated athletes I've ever known. My favorite athletes on the girls side are Sheila Reid and Kara Goucher because, well, they're pretty.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The best thing about being a distance runner is the fact that I get to test my limits and push myself close to the edge. You really learn a lot about yourself in the challenges you face in this sport. My least favorite, hmm, well 20mi runs when the temperature is below 0 degrees isn't much fun.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
my favorite moment of my career so far was my trip to the NCAAs this xc season. Our team was closer than ever before and getting the opportunity to go to the national meet with such a close group of friends was great. We're hoping to do much better next year though!

I hope you like the second interview and I hope there is more Professional/College Distance Running Interviews to come

No comments:

Post a Comment