Thursday, December 29, 2011

Parker Stinson Interview

Parker Stinson one of the most underrated college, I think, & one of the nicest guys out there in Distance Running that ever know. I have asked a few Professional and College Distance a few question just like Zachary Ornelas did with me on his blog, "Eat Run Swag." So here is the Parker Stinson Interview

1. How did you get started in running?
My running "career" began very early, around the age of 10 I believe. I was always a very active kid and played 3-4 sports a year and sometimes even two sports at one time while growing up. I dabbled in baseball and basketball but I ended up being best at soccer and hockey. One day my dad convinced my older sister, Candace who is four years older than me, to come out and run a few miles with him before school a few times a week in order to get into shape for club soccer tryouts. I always wanted to be involved in all things athletic and I especially wanted to try and outdo my sister at any and everything. So I went out and ran with my dad and sister and I tried my luck at a few kiddy road races and I was hooked.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
 I pretty much just tell them that a lot of what has to do with my participation in our sport is because I enjoy being successful and running has seemed to offer that to me. If I was good at the 400 or football I would most likely do that instead, it is hard for people who dont get our sport to understand why anyone would spend so much time, "just running" but i think when you explain to them that you enjoying being passionate about something you are good at then they will begin to understand.

3. What are you current PR's?
 1500-3:52
5000-14:08
10000-29:14

 4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
 Definitely the hardest thing any Student Athlete has to deal with is the balance between academics and athletics and if you're lucky enough to have a social life then you must add that weight into the balancing act as well. I think the key is to be honest and know oneself when it goes to classes you will be taking. I do lots of doubles and I also like to get lots of sleep but I am not much of a nap guy, so therefore I know I need to make sure that I am not scheduling any classes before like 10 a.m. or else it will be bad for my running because I will be rushing and not doing things right in the morning as well as my academics because I will end up skipping that class more so that not in order to do the running things right.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
 I would have to say that my favorite runners would have to be Matt Centrowitz, Luke Puskedra, and Galen Rupp. I do realize that there is an obvious Ducks bias here but that is really not what all three of these guys have in common for me. I think what attracts me the most to looking up to other runners is their ability to inspire me. That being said, since I am around Centro and Luke so often and I get to be involved with what they are doing on a day to day basis and then get to watch how their every day efforts solidify into the amazing performances on race day. Unfortunately, I can not say the same about Galen but the few times and experiences I have had with him along with his incredible performances have left an impact on me.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
 Best part about being a distance runner would have to be the purpose, if only for a relatively short time of your life, and direction it offers in my life. Whether it will all work out or not I am very grateful to have such a straight forward goal in my life so that I do not find myself doubting the path in which I am traveling.

 7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
I have been running for about 9 years now and I don't think I ever choose a favorite moment of my distance running career. So many experiences, and performances have been great and special in their own way. Besides, I like to think the reason why I can't pick a favorite moment is because that moment has yet to come in my distance career. I am hoping the best is yet to come.

This is I hope the first of many Professional and/or College Distance Running Interviews that I do. Thanks Parker, for being my first interview

No comments:

Post a Comment