Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Sixth Interview: Ciaran O'Lionaird aka Mad_Len Interview

Well now we have some international favor to these interview and it is Ciaran O'Lionaird better know as Mad_Len or Mullet With A Bullet.

1. How did you get started in running?
I began running when I was 7 years old. I just ran cross country for my local club and didn't take it too seriously. I was more caught up in soccer and Irish football!


 2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
Not many of my friends back in Ireland run, so they find it strange! Now that it's Olympic year, they understand a bit better why I do it. Purely for the racing and competition


3. What are you current PR's?
 I've ran 3:34.46 for 1500, 7:50 for 3k, 13:33 for 5k and 28:32 I believe for 10k. My 800 PR might be from my last 800 my 1500 final at World's, so I need to address that promptly!


4. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?
I have more time now to take care of weaknesses and imbalances that were holding me back. I am very week in a lot of different areas and that limited me greatly whilst in college. Now I've been working on those for a few months, I'm seeing good gains! Also, I can chill out in the morning with a cuppa and not worry about running early in the morning. Happy days


5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I don't really have runners I really look up to. My teammates at the Oregon Project have all taught me different things that have helped better me as a runner. You can't really look up to any current runners if you're trying to be the best, but lads from back in the day like Herb Elliot and Jim Ryun did some crazy things!

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The mileage is the worst! I can't stick the miles but you have to do it. I'll go on the treadmill and watch a NBA game to pass the time during the off days sometimes! The best part would be the races and the competition. Just racing people is the big positive factor for me!


7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
My favorite moment thus far was just the entire Daegu experience. It was cool to get an A standard earlier in August, but I prefer the tactics and fun of races, so being involved in those situations at Worlds was great fun

8. Goals for 2012?
I'd like to improve on my 10th place at Worlds in London at the Olympics! Once you make the final, anything can happen so I want to be back in the mix and hopefully have more skills to work with this time around!
I hope more interviews are to come

No comments:

Post a Comment