Friday, December 30, 2011

The Fourth Interview: The Ohio State Man- Donny Roys Interview

The fourth interview is about a great Ohio State Runner, Donny Roys, & what a distance runner he is to watch & talk with.

1. How did you get started in running?
My father got me into running in 4th grade. I was a multi-sport athlete (Soccer, Basketball and Baseball) and he suggested we go run a local 5k and I was hooked. Within the next couple years I added yet another sport and started running in Middle School but still continued to play all those sports up until sophomore year of high school.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
A lot of people misunderstand our sport and usually believe it's easy to do. So, I usually tell them to join me for one of my 85-95 mile weeks and do all of my workouts/runs. Usually they are shocked by the mileage and start to piece together that it might be a little harder than they think.

3. What are you current PR's?
800-1:53, Mile-4:08, Steeple-9:00, 5k-14:35, 8k-24:21, 10k-30:46 (Cross Country). I am still getting use to all the mileage so my PR's are sub-par as of right now.

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
Daily activity lists. Usually I have my day broken down by the hour on what I have to do and how much time I should take doing it. I like to check things off as I go and it gives me a sense of accomplishment when crossing something off.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
It is hard to be able to pick just one distance runner that I admire because of how I find that all runners are different in there own unique way. Two that I admire currently are Brian Olinger and Dan Huling because of the way they carry themselves in training and how dedicated they are to the spot.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The best thing about being a distance runner is the sense of belonging you gain from it because of how your teammates are working together to achieve similar goals. This is a sense brings you closer and makes it easier to get through workouts. I also like how I am able to turn to running with I am down and get me through some troubling times.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Will all the miles and all the races I have done it is really hard to pinpoint my favorite memory so I will choose the most recent one at NCAA Cross Country Nationals. My favorite moment was racing with my teammates and how there was not a minute we weren't looking around trying to make sure we were together and moving up in the race. If a couple of us got separated we were looking on how we could get back together. It was just a great feeling on how we stayed and worked together like that at the national meet.

I hope you are getting some insight on this distance runners that I interview & I hope there is more to come. I hope there are some Professional Distance Runners that answers my interview questions so you can get some real insight into the world of Distance Running

No comments:

Post a Comment