Monday, January 9, 2012

The 11th Interview:The Great Steeplechase Anthony Famiglietti Interview

The 11th Interview is about one of my Steeplechase God and one of the reasons that I am still running, Anthony Famiglietti

1. How did you get started in running?

My very first race was in elementary school. It was a field day event and I passed out at the halfway point. I went out too fast in the race and blacked out. I remember waking up to my mom and teachers standing over me. That was my very first introduction to running.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I try my best to inspire them to run. I think we should all present ourselves as ambassadors of the sport and not treat distance running like an exclusive club. I'm not a fan of the word "elite".

3. What are you current PR's?

1500 3:35 Mile 3:55 5k 13:11 Steeple 8:17 10k 27:37. I'm working to lower some of these this year. Almost all of my PRs were run in the US. The opportunity to race in Europe in a fast field under the right training conditions never really coalesced. I look forward to the day that it does. Problem is, I love racing in the US more than anything


4. How did you get started in Steeplechasing?

My high school coach forbid me to race the steeple, he said it was too dangerous. That only made me more curious and hungry to try it. College coach let me try it once at the very last meet of freshman season. After that he directed me more towards the 5k. My second steeple came during my sophomore year at an early season track meet at UNC Charlotte. My coach had me entered in a flat 3k. I was upset because I specifically wanted to take a shot at the steeple again and my coach flat out said no. I secretly entered myself into the steeple once we got to the meet. I snuck off to warm up for the steeple and the coach caught me. He said, "the 3k doesn't start for 3 hours why are you warming up?" I told him my plan to run the steeple and he was quite upset. We debated for a bit after which I simply said, "I'm racing it." Aggravated the coach finally gave in, but he only agreed on the terms that I'd still run the flat 3k after the steeple as punishment. He also said, "Don't expect any splits from me, you're on your own." I raced the steeple to a big PR that day. I had absolutely no idea of my pace or splits until the coach ran over to the fence with a lap to go when he saw that I might break nine minutes. I set the track steeplechase record that day at UNCC and it stood for a long time. I also set my school record for the flat 3k an hour or so later. I was a steeplechaser from then on.


5. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?

I miss running with a team. The camaraderie and group effort is a great feeling. As a professional I have not had that in eleven years. You have to be ten times as disciplined and self motivated to make it in the pros. You're mostly on your own in every way. I think the new elite groups that have emerged the past few years are a great step in the right direction. The main downside to the groups is that they are brand biased. If you do not run for the particular running brand that sponsors each group, you cannot be a part of the team. I had also once asked a very well known top elite coach in the past to coach me. He turned me away on the grounds that I was not sponsored with the brand that was funding him. That kind of bias has been hurting American running for a long time. Instead of American running developing as a whole together, you have this brand vs that brand etc.


6. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?

I tend to root for the underdogs. As far as professional runners go I like some runners from way back. Louis Zamperini is interesting, Ellison "Tarzan" Brown. I like looking way back to the early runners of the Irish American Athletic Club. Guys like John Baxter Taylor Jr, Abel Kiviat, "Peerless Mel" Sheppard. I think it would be amazing to have that kind of club again in the US.


7. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?

Best thing, transformation in every sense of the word. Worst things about distance running, greed and vanity in the form of cheaters who care only about increasing their profile and making easy money. Greed also in the form of bureaucracy and antiquated rules that make administrators wealthy and athletes struggle. 

8. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?

A solo trail run on my favorite single track trail. That and racing for my own running apparel brand Reckless Running. Racing for Reckless Running has afforded me incredible freedom in running that I have never experienced before. I plan to help other runners experience and be a part of that soon.

9. Goals for 2012?

Make my third Olympic team in the steeplechase and return to the United States with hardware. Inspire as many runners as possible along the way.

I think that this my favorite interview so far and I hope there is more great interviews from Distance Runners to come

No comments:

Post a Comment