Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The 13th Interview: Nathan Brannen Interview

The Unlucky number 13th Interview is about Nathan Brannen and I think this is a lucky interview. Nathan Brannen , if you don't know, was Alan Webb's roommate when they were at University of Michigan

1. How did you get started in running?

I am involved in sports at a very young age and participated in everything. Hockey was a huge part of my childhood and the dream of playing in the NHL one day was a dream on mine. This quickly changed around age 12 when I realized my size just wasn't adequate for being a professional hockey player. I was always a very good runner and in the ninth grade I decided to give it a go and started getting a little more serious.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?

I think things have changed a lot in the past few years and more people are getting involved in running and paying more attention to the sport. Usain Bolt has had a huge impact of the sport of track and field which has brought a lot more attention to our sport. Other athletes like Ryan Hall has brought more light specifically to distance running and the marathon. Both have been great for our sport in different ways.

3. What are you current PR's?
800- 1:46.00
1000m- 2:17.34
1500- 3:34.65
mile- 3:52.63
3000m (indoor)- 7:47.90
5000m- 13:43.19

4. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?

The major difference is I now have more time to really focus on the smaller things. The thing I liked about college was there was a focus outside of running. It was very easy to take myself out of the sport and focus on something just as important and that was my education. Without school, I'm able to fully focus on running but have found things in my personal life to help take my head away from the sport when needed.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?

There are a lot of athletes that I look up to in our sport and have a lot of respect for. I love watching the guys in the 100 and the ease at which they run sub 10 seconds. I imagine how sweet it would be to fly down the track at that speed.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?

I don't think this relates just to distance running but to athletes in general but I think the worst thing about being an athlete is the selfishness needed to make it to the top. I'm lucky enough to have a great wife at home who understands what I'm doing and who I'm trying to be. I'm away from home training and racing most of the year and for someone who doesn't understand our sport it would be very hard to understand and support. The best thing about running is the head to head competition. I love getting out there and putting it all on the line to see who is best on that given day.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?

As of now my most memorable moments of my career are winning the silver medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, Australia and competing at my first Olympic Games at the 2008 Games in Beijing, China.

8. Goals for 2012?
My 2012 goals are...
1. Healthy
2. Olympic finalist
3. PR's in the 800, 1500 and mile.


Like I said 13 is a lucky number and so is this interview & I hope there are more interviews to come

No comments:

Post a Comment