Friday, January 13, 2012

The 18th Interview: A.J. Acosta Interview

The 18th Interview is about on colorful distance runner, Former Oregon Duck Distance Runner A.J. Acosta

1. How did you get started in running?
I got into running by chance really. I grew up playing basketball and baseball and only did track to get in shape for the other two.


2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
"Yes I made the Olympic Trials. No, I havent made the Olympic Team, that race is in June. Yes, I run 80 miles a week."


3. What are you current PR's?
3:53 for the Mile, 3:36 1500m, 13:46 5000m

4. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?
A lot more time being a professional (although one could argue that I'm not a professional, as professionals get paid). I've taken advantage of the extra time though by catching up on sleep and watching copious amounts of Louie, The Wire (for the 7th and 8th time) and some light reading as well (Vonnegut's Hocus Pocus and David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest).

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I wasn't like every other kid, with respect to having idols, you know? Anne Kesselring's a real hero of mine. And Brian Rhodes-Devey. BRD would be another person who's a hero. The running he's done over the years, I don't really watch it, but the fact that he's doing it, I respect that. I care desperately about what I do. Do I know what workout's im doing? No. Do I know where I'm racing next time? No. But I'm here, and I'm gonna give it my best shot.


6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Long runs and Tempos.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
1,2,3 at NCAA's in 2010


8. Goals for 2012?
Making the team along w/ a thousand other runners

No comments:

Post a Comment