Thursday, January 12, 2012

The 15th Interview: My Wisconsin Bro/Family Reed Connor Interview

The 15th Interview is about my Wisconsin Bro/Family Reed Connor. One of the Distance Runners out there today that I look up to.

1. How did you get started in running?
I started going to cross country practice in 8th grade because the basketball coach wanted us to get in shape for basketball. Basically xc practices was running one lap around the school (3/4 mile), hard days were 2 laps. At this time in my life I refused to pay for my own clothing and my wardrobe consisted entirely of free t-shirts. One day at xc practice the coach handed out free t-shirts that were leftover from the high school Nike South xc meet. When I found out that giving away free t-shirts was common practice in running I decided to join the xc team in high school.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I don’t tell them anything. I don’t even understand the sport sometimes, so I doubt they have a chance.

3. What are you current PR's?
3:44.52, 7:53.88, 13:48.59

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
Being a college runner means your running and school are never as good as they could be. Sometimes running has to win and other times school does. The goal is to find that balance where you are achieving what you want to in both areas.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
Don’t really have any consistent favorites. Every season I have different people I want to watch fail or succeed. That being said I always tend to find myself cheering for Wisco alum.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Chafing… nothing worse than coming back from a run with bloody nipples or a rubbed raw sack.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Winning NCAA Cross Country this year as a team. Pretty much everyone on the team came to UW to win that race and it’s always nice to accomplish what you set out to do.

8. Goals for 2012?
Same goal as every year… keep on improving. I figure if I get better each year I have nothing to complain about.

No comments:

Post a Comment