Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The 19th Interview: My #Indianatakeover bro Andy Weatherford Interview

The 19th Interview is about one hell of a college distance runner and my #Indianatakeover bro, Andy Weatherford.

1. How did you get started in running?
I started running in the 6th grade, I wanted to be a football player, but I was so little my Mom wouldn't let me. So instead I ran cross country in order to get in shape for basketball season and ended up winning a lot of races, I really liked winning, so I just stuck with it.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
Most people don't, but if they care to listen I tell them that its all about finding your own personal limits; we train everyday to see how far we can push our own bodies and to see where our limits are. Thats why we run.

3. What are you current PR's?
I've run 4:02 for a mile, 8:11 for a 3k, and 8:46 in the steeple
 

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
I've talked with Coach Helmer about this, actually, and the realization I had during this conversation was that its not about managing or balancing these two commitments--its about doing what you need to do, and doing it everyday. This of course means a little less Skyrim and Call of Duty, but it also means devoting yourself to projects and commitments that are important enough to be made into priorities.
 

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
Roger Bannister was my idol in the early years, the man dared the impossible and opened the door for the rest of us. Since then, though, I've met more and more people in this sport that inspire me with their courage and commitment to this sport, I don't know if I could pick just one or even a few.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best: the camaraderie. I love being on runs with my Indiana boys, when we are traveling for races or out for another run in Bloomington, these guys are always clowning and having a good time--I've made some of my best friends through this sport and on this team.
Worst: ice baths, I hate those things. The worst part of my day, everyday.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Thats a tough one. I was really happy with my 10th place finish at NCAA's in the steeple last spring... but De'Sean Turner and I had one hell of a race at the state meet Junior year in high school that was also pretty unforgettable. He's supposed to put the video up online sometime, but its the closest race I've ever been in and the most I've ever hurt. I won my second state title, but he made me work for it; I think our times were 4:08.72 and 4:08.79 or something like that--a real photo finish, it was a great race and the start of our friendship which ended up bringing us both to Bloomington.

8. Goals for 2012?

I'd like to run 8:35 or faster in the Steeplechase, earn a Big Ten Medal and another All-American certificate. If I could get qualified for the Trials in June, I'd be absolutely ecstatic...I'm just taking one day at a time though, and making the most of every opportunity to get better, that way I can be happy with my results, knowing I gave myself the best shot I could to succeed.

I hope you guys are liking the interview with Professional/College Distance Runners

No comments:

Post a Comment