Thursday, January 5, 2012

The 9th Interview: Wisconsin Great Distance Runner Zachary Mellon Interview

The 9th Interview is about the great Wisconsin Distance Runner Zachary Mellon.

1. How did you get started in running?
I believe my start in running was something that God worked in my life. I was never into sports much or exercising, but in 8th grade I had a friend say I couldn't hack track and field, that along with a gym teacher who liked to blow smoke to his students to get them to come out for sports (he convinced I would win races when I ran 6:57 for the mile in class), got some wheels turning. So, I went out for it and after the first three days I wanted to quit so bad, but I stayed with it for reasons that are beyond me.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I would like to tell people something I have begun to learn myself this year: Racing the way we race takes hard work. That may seem trite but it is something I believe few truly have a grasp on. To do what we do, you have to lose that innate sense of entitlement and realize that nothing comes without trials and that you are no more deserving than anyone else. If you want it you have to earn, and if you fail you have to work harder (which also entails knowing when to take easy).

3. What are you current PR's?
400 - :47.2 (split)
800 - 1:47.45
1500 - 3:46
Mile - 4:11

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
I don't know (ha ha ha). It's tough and requires organization and a focus I don't quite have.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
My favorite runner is an old high school teammate of mine. I used to chase him around the track my freshman year in high school. He was the best on our team and one of the best in the state and I wanted to emulate him so bad, but could never beat him. He definitely inspired me and played a huge role in helping me develop into the runner I am. Favorite pro runner: Craig Miller. Favorite college runner: Austin Mudd & the rest of our wolf pack. WP4L.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best thing about it is when you get to do it with a team. Worst thing about it is doing it by yourself.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
 My favorite moment is when Landon Peacock won 2010 Big Tens XC.

8. Goals in 2012?

My goals are to stay healthy, have fun, train hard, and help our mid distances group become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment