Thursday, January 12, 2012

The 16th Interview: My Bro for Life Billy Nelson Interview

The 16th Interview is about Steeplechaser Billy Nelson. Billy Nelson is the reason that I run.

1. How did you get started in running?
My best friend Nick Cramer talked me into running after years of trying in the 8th grade. I immediately feel in love with it


2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I just tell people it is a sport in which you challenge only yourself. It's you against you, granted there are plenty of other people in the race, but ultimately you are racing yourself. Trusting the work that you put in. Plus, there is nothing like running a long run, in a place that you have never been, seeing the sites of a new city, or country, the way it was intended to be seen; the country roads, the quiet forests, etc. Distance running is being free.

3. What are you current PR's?
My current PRs are:
3:42 for 1500m
8:00 for 3000m
8:17 for 3000m Steeplechase
13:46 for 5000m

4. How did you get started in Steeplechasing?
 I steeplechased for the first time in high school. We had some summer meets, that included a 2000m steeple chase. I really enjoyed it. My senior year we had the race at our home invitational (uncommon for California high school), I love it. I won in 9:35 (with the water pit in the middle of a grass turn). I hoped to continue that in College and Coach Wetmore gave me a chance my red-shirt Sophomore year)

5. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?
For me the main difference is less racing and more training, which I actually enjoy. I never thought I would but I do. I mean I love to race, its why I do this sport, but going into a race fully prepared and focused is something special. Every race matters and is important. Toeing the line knowing you put months of training in for this race and then seeing it pay off at the end is always an enjoyable experience. However, I do miss the team atmosphere of working with teammates to win a championship, etc

6. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
My favorite distance runners would include Emil Zatopek, Billy Mills, and Adam Goucher. Mainly because of their work ethic, their drive and their heart. Each of these athletes embodied the spirit of "giving it everything you've got." And I feel that I connect with them on that level. Emil Zatopek was one of the toughest dudes to lace up the spikes and he also accomplished something that no one will ever match (triple crown of 5k, 10k, Marathon Gold at the Helsinki Olympics), Billy Mills used his doubters and struggles to rise above adversity and become a champion and he is one of the most down to earth, nicest people I have ever met, and Adam is a hero of mine because he raced every race like it was his last, whether it was an indoor collegiate meet at Air Force Academy, the conference meet, the NCAA Nationals, Olympics, etc. He gave 100 percent every time. He taught me a lot about myself and running during my first few years at CU and I'll never forget that.


and you are my favorite distance runner ever

7. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The best thing about being a distance runner is loving your job and not being in a office to do it. (I am also an assistant coach at CU, so I have an office, but being on the trails or the track for work, isn't work to me). The worst thing I would say is long runs in negative weather in ice and snow. But, without overcoming obstacles, one will never reap rewards!

8. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
My favorite moment of my career is easily making the Olympic Team in 2008. Wearing the "USA" on your chest at the Olympic Games is something that can never be matched in the sport of running.

9. Goals for 2012?

My goals for 2012 will be to make the Olympic Team, make the final in London, as well as go sub-8:15 in the Steeplechase

No comments:

Post a Comment