Sunday, January 22, 2012

The 21st Interview: Kenyon Neuman Interview

21 is my lucky number and the 21st Interview is a lucky interview and it is about Keyon Neuman

1. How did you get started in running?
I got started in running during my freshman year of high school. I was really frustrated that I didn't make the Varsity soccer team and I ran a 5-mile race with my dad and did pretty well. My dad and the XC coaches at my high school convinced me to run and so I did XC and soccer. I got 2nd in my first race and was the top guy on our team. That success really got me invested in it and I decided I would focus on running as opposed to soccer.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I try to help people who don't understand running through just conveying what I feel when I run. I tell them why I like it and why they might like it too. Running isn't for everyone, but I think many people who find it hard and boring at the start can learn to love running once they do it for a few months, build some fitness and begin to feel the effect of endorphins and a sense of accomplishment. I don't know if I've met anyone who doesn't like to feeling they have after running. I find that people mostly don't like the effort, stress and/or pain of running while they're doing it at first.

3. What are you current PR's?
1500 m - 3:45
5,000 m - 13:40
10,000 m - 29:07
Half-Marathon - 64:50
Marathon - 2:22
 

4. How different is Professional Distance Running Then College Running, for you?
For me, running post-collegiately is very unique. My situation isn't very common. I wouldn't call myself a professional runner as I don't currently make a living through running. I work a full time job and try to train like a professional in the best way that I can. I'm very busy between work, running, some high school coaching and finding time to be social.

Running now is different from college in many ways (mostly in that I haven't had a team to train with, until recently when I joined Brad Hudson's group in Boulder). I also don't have many of the resources I had in college (travel funding, PT, Medical help, etc).

In many ways, it's the same. I'm very busy. I have responsibilities beyond just running. I have to perform at work as I did in school. Fitting the pieces of work/school and training together is difficult sometimes but worthwhile.  

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
You know, I just like what all of the American distance runners are doing collectively right now. I don't like one runner more than any others unless I've had some positive or negative personal experience with someone. For the most part, runners are very friendly and humble people. The running community in our country is very easy going and approachable. I do like to cheer for my fellow buffs like Billy Nelson, Brent Vaughn, Dathan Ritzenhein, Jenny Barringer, Sarah Vaughn, Sarah Slattery, Steve Slattery, etc. I also love watching the current guys on the CU team. I love training and racing with the guys in our group and I love seeing them run well too. Fernando Cabada, James Carney and Patrick Rizzo all had inspiring performances at the US Olympic Trials last week and Tyler McCandless and I should be able to put together some solid marathon performances very soon. As I said though, most distance runners are very friendly, approachable humble people and I tend to like just about everyone I meet at any type of run or event.

A few of my past favorites are: Wilson Kipketer, Seb Coe, Peter Snell, Steve Jones and Zola Budd. I've had the opportunity to go on a few runs and have a couple meals with Zola. She is an incredibly smart, humble and friendly person. The times she ran barefoot are unbelievable as well! I don't know if many people are aware of what her barefoot PR's are...

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best thing about being a distance runner: Staying in shape and being able to eat a lot of calories

Worst thing about being a distance runner: Couldn't really say, I like everything about it. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices, which is good, but every once in a while running can get in the way of something you'd like to do.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
 Probably winning the Big 12 10k, taking 2nd in the Big 12 5k and winning the meet overall as a men's team at CU as a Junior. This meet was at home in Boulder and everyone showed up. We ended up winning and I believe we scored 91 points in the distance events alone. It was a great experience that I don't think any of the athletes or coaches who were part of that team will ever forget.

8. Goals for 2012?
I'd like to run closer to what I feel my potential is in the 1500 or mile, the steeple, the 5k and the 10k. I'd like to compete at the trials in Eugene in either the steeple, 5k or 10k. I'd also like to run another marathon on pace through the entirety of the distance. I was on about 2:13:30 pace through 21 miles at the Olympic Trials and then I really blew up over the last 3 miles. I really didn't feel that the 2:22 I ran was indicative of my ability. Mostly it was a fitness and fueling issue. I think I needed more calories in my bottles (or maybe I should have had a couple gels). I also was injured in the month of November and ran about 4 or 5 times that month. I'd like to toe the line in some good marathon shape...

No comments:

Post a Comment