Monday, December 3, 2012

35th Interview The Great Kyle Merber

This interview is about Kyle Merber who start out at Columbia University & now is at University Of Texas


1. How did you get started in running?
-After winning his gold medal in the 400m hurdles in Atlanta, Derek Adkins came back to my elementary school [the same one he graduated from] to give a speech, shake some hands and show off his new hardware. I got home absolutely inspired and told my mom to sign me up for some races!

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
-As I age I find that more people respect and understand our sport. But if they belittle me for just running laps then I use some self-deprecation and remind them not to forget about how stupid I look in short-shorts.

3. What are you current PR's?
-800-1:49, 1500-3:35, Mile-3:58, 5k-14:02 and I once I high jumped 5'5

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
-If it's late at night, and you have homework, but need to get up for an early morning workout then you have to ask yourself…"Am I more upset after a bad workout, or for getting a bad grade?" And then I go to sleep.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
-With my ties to both Texas and Columbia, I'd have to consider those rosters my favorite collegiate runners. But on the pro scene, I root hard for veterans and CU alums Liam Boylan-Pett and Delilah DiCrescenzo. Erik Van Ingen and Chris Derrick would be my rookie picks.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
-I've only been tackled during a race once and you can do it anywhere. But the big con is that I won't be putting on 30 lbs of muscle to achieve my ideal Ryan Reynolds body anytime soon.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
-I'm a big team guy, so my favorite moment was when Columbia squeaked out an upset at HEPS my sophomore year. We cried a lot…and I have never felt more a part of something special. A close second would be when I pulled a 3:35 out of my ass only to then watch all my training partners PR in the next heat.

8. Goals for 2013?
-Get my consistency back. I always prided myself on always being healthy and performing on race day before I got hurt, but after I was injured my junior year I began to struggle with it. So my goal is to show my best when I step out onto the track this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment