Monday, December 3, 2012

37th Interview DII Adam State Distance Runner Matt Daniels

My first interview of a DII Distance Runner, Matt Daniel of Adam State


1. How did you get started in running? I started getting into running in the second grade. We had event sign ups for field day and I had no idea what event i wanted to do. My PE teacher told me i had long legs so i should try the distance run. I won and continued to do that race all the way until i entered middle school and could join cross-country. Then it went on from there.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running? I tell them i can understand. I took 2 and a half years off from running. smoked a lot, drank a lot. When i decided to start back running was awful and I could not figure out for the life of me why i ever did it. Then once i started to get back into shape i realized how enjoyable it really is. So i tell them that its not a very enjoyable
thing until you are in the kind of shape to where it becomes fun and a little easier.

3. What are you current PR's? 1500: 3:45 5k: 13:59

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner? It is very difficult at times for me. I'm the type that likes to focus on one thing and put all of my energy towards it and make the best out of it. That being said in college is you dont do well in the classroom your not going to be able to compete. So ive had to look at school and running as one thing and spend equal amount of time on both. I wake up spend 2 hours at practice in the morning. Go to class for 4-5 hours. Then go to our afternoon practice for another 3 hours. After all of that is done i spend an equal amount of time outside of class and practice working on homework and other things running related. The social scene is basically non existent. I have a girlfriend who keeps me sane.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why? From the past my favorite professional runners were probably Frank shorter and Steve Ovett. I like both runners because of the range they had. Frank shorter was always interesting to me because of the era he ran in. pretty blue collar and just put in the miles at altitude and did it with class. He also did his biggest part of training while in Law school, which is something i hope to do soon. Steve Ovett like i said had ridiculous range. But i love watching videos of him running in the past. He had a certain type of fire inside of him almost to the point of being a bit cocky which always makes things fun. Both guys just had flawless form as well. Present day I don't really have a favorite runner. I try not to idolize the guys i will hopefully be competing against. But i do enjoy watching the two Kenyans from Arizona state run. They have really raised the bar in collegiate distance running.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running? Best thing about being a distance runner would have to be the feeling of self satisfaction you get after running a great race or a personal record. The worse thing about being a distance runner has got to be just the daily grind. day in and day out it can really take its toll(especially up here at 7550ft) but that being said it is still well worth it when you are running good.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career? I've had a lot of moments i would consider great in my career. But my most recent one was coming in 4th at DII XC nationals this year with two of my teammates getting second and third right ahead of me. For cross-country not being my specialty i was pretty pumped. We also won the team title which just put the icing on the cake. The greatest moments are those you get to share with your team!

8. Goals for 2013? My Goals for 2013 are to dip under 13:40 in the 5k and run somewhere under 3:43 for the 1500. More than anything i want to help the track team win Indoor and Outdoor Nationals so we can be the first team in the History of DII to get the triple crown. That is important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment