Saturday, December 8, 2012

59th Interview's DIII Sprinter Andrew Fix

This interview is of DIII Carroll University Sprinter/Mid-Distance Runner Andrew Fix
1. How did you get started in running?
- Well in 5th grade we had to run the mile for gym class... I came pretty close to breaking out elementary school record! The gym teacher suggested that I keep running to try and break it.. Haven't looked back since.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of running?
- If you don't like it... you don't like it... I understand that there are many people that don't like running in an oval on the track... I try to get those people started anyways somehow, running's for everybody.

3. What are you current PR's?
- 4x4 split: 50.2, 800: 1:57.05

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college runner?
- As each year goes by it gets a little bit more difficult since the course load grows and grows. I've been doing it so long though, having part of my day spent at practice is just something that I'm used to. I was a 3 sport athlete in high school, and a 2 sport athlete now in college. I just try to make sure to get the school work done right away rather than putting it off till the last minute.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college runner(s) past and/or present & why?
- I haven't really watched professional running too much, mainly I like watching the sprints and the mid-distance races... Ashton Eaton has probably got the be my favorite to watch right now though. He has such great talents in so many different events, it's fun to watch.

6. What's your favorite memory of Coach Shawn Thielitz?
- Watching Coach T. be a little kid at heart when he decides to run a race at one of our home meets. It's awesome to see how much enthusiasm he has for the team an how much he enjoys being with all of us.

7. Best or Worst thing about being a runner?
- Its a great way to meet a lot of new people, build great friendships, feed your need for competition, and its something that you can continue to do for your entire life.

8. Your Favorite Moment of your running career?
- This is a hard choice, but it has to be anchoring the Carroll 4x4 to a Indoor Conference Championship my freshman year. I couldn't believe coach decided to let a freshman anchor the relay, and we took home the gold medal

9. Goals for 2013?
- Since I had hip surgery a few weeks ago, and I'll be having another one this January, I'm hoping to just get back in shape this year after I'm all healed up and rehab'ed from the surgeries. I plan on watching all my Carroll teammates put on a show this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment