Wednesday, December 5, 2012

54th Interview 2012 DIII XC Champion Tim Nelson

This interview is about 2012 DIII XC Champion & UW-Stout Distance Runner Tim Nelson

1. How did you get started in running?
I got started in running my senior year of high school because I kept getting my ass beat in football. I broke 3 bones in 3 years. I was terrible - I knew it and my friends let me know it too. I wanted to excel at something and I knew running was my best shot (based on the gym class mile!). I started running year round and fell in love with the sport and especially the great people you meet people!

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I tell people that it's a lot of work, but it really makes me a better person. I'm always striving to be the best I can possibly be. Always trying to find a tiny way to be a snitch better. That stuff carries over into the rest of my life, so the benefits are compounded. Also, the friendships you make on a 15 mile run in 20 MPH winds and sleet aren't ones easily broken. Truth be told, I know more about my teammates than I probably would want to.... And running keeps me from getting fat. It's an ongoing battle.

3. What are you current PR's?
12.8 100m(!), 8:15 3k, 13:57 5k, 23:54 8k, 29:35 10k

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
For me, being a runner makes me a better student. My freshman year I developed a naughty side that I'm not terribly proud of. Running competitively keeps me on the straight and narrow. It's taught me so much about how to be my best. I'm a much better student now than I was before I ran.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
My favorite all time runner is Quentin Cassidy. I mean 3:52 against John Walton speaks for itself. I wish so bad I could live in a cabin in Florida and run 60 quarters at 63... but some dreams will probably never be realized. My favorite real runner is Dick Beardsley. He came from humble beginnings and improbably became one of the best runners on the planet. It just goes to show that dreams can become reality, and that you don't need some fancy pedigree to kick ass.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best thing about distance running is the relationships I've built. I have good friends all over the nation because of this sport. I don't think I could have that if I did anything else. Also, my relationship with God is much, much stronger because of running. We runners were able to start a Bible study here at Stout that I really enjoy and think we get a lot out of. The impact I've been able to make on my campus because of running has also been extremely worthwhile.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
My favorite moment was when UW Stout got fourth place in the nation in Indoor track 2012. I had to win the 5k in order for us to get a team trophy. I didn't know if it was possible. When we found out that we had got fourth we went absolutely crazy. To share that with teammates who worked so hard for that was really satisfying! GO BLUE DEVILS!

8. Goals for 2013?
Goals for 2013 are to keep my mileage high, keep getting more fit, train as hard as I possibly can (intelligently), run a half marathon, and find a team or club to join so I can get serious about running after college.

No comments:

Post a Comment