Tuesday, December 4, 2012

50th Interview DIII Caroll Univeristy Distance Runner Jay Sparks

This interview is about DIII Carroll Univeristy Distance Runner & my Lil' Bro Jay Sparks

1. How did you get started in running?
Started running in Junior high, my dad ran at Stevens Point and I loved hearing his stories. Wanted to follow in his foot steps.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
Tell them that its all about te runners high, getting into the race and just beleiveing you can do anything.

3. What are you current PR's?
High school 5K 17:19, 8K 28:31, 3K 9:54, Steeplechase 10:53
College 5K 17:06

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
Its very difficult to managing being a student and an athlete. I have to manage my time a lot and expecially this year in Graduate school its been lots harder to deal with the separation from the team and the lack of time to do everything that I need to do.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
My favorite past distance runner would be Steve Prefontaine for sure.
Presently I love to watch Evan Jager run, I love watching his steeplechase and see an American do so well in the Olympics.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The best thing about running is the family that I've had over the course of my high school and college career. From guys like Ryan Hanus, Mark Hackett and you Rubis. The worst thing is all the injuries that I've had, its been a hard road. My success make it worth it though.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
My favorite moment was at the end of my senior season, getting put into the Regional meet 20 hours before the race. This sucked in that I ran like shit, but my teammates at the finish line made my day. I was surrounded by my teammates crying from sadness but joy as well.

8. Goals for 2013?
My goal is to run life time PR in the indoor 3K and Outdoor 5K and steeplechase. Maybe try out 400 hurdles again this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment