Saturday, December 8, 2012

60th Interview Iona's Otis Ubriaco

This interview of Iona's own Otis Ubriaco
1. How did you get started in running?
 I started running to try and train for football and basketball. Ended up being pretty good at it and enjoyed it a lot more and got along with my coach incredibly. So I made the switch when I was around 15.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
There's not much I can really say to let them understand so I just say I find enjoyment in running mileage and I love racing.

3. What are you current PR's?
Current Pr's are sadly almost all from when I was around 16 (hopefully soon to change now I have a good chunk of training under my belt). 3200- 9:03 1600- 4:12 5k-14:57 8k-24:54 and 800-1:56.

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
Just a lot of focus during the day. If I dedicate a lot of my day to work between classes where I wouldn't be doing anything I don't need to worry about it after practice and can get to sleep when I feel like

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I am honestly no great student of the sport but from what I've read and seen my favorite pro athlete from the past is Gerry Lindgren, the amount of mileage and dedication he had coupled with what he did for the sport of American distance running is truly amazing. Plus he seems to come off as a pretty great guy. Present pro athlete is probably Ritz no great reason I just love his interviews and attitude I talked to him briefly once and he came off as a genuine guy compared to others I have met. College runners I don't really find myself putting too many people on a pedestal but I have enjoyed watching both Donn Cabral and Chris Derrik. Both of them have some tenacity and a will to win is something I admire as a runner.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best thing about distance running is probably just the benefit when it comes to racing. I love it so when it pays off in a good race life is great. Worst thing is probably strides. I know that probably sounds weird but I hate strides just never enjoyed it all I still do them just never a fan.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Favorite moment to this point was probably going to NXNs my junior year of high school. I won the qualifier and my team went so the combo of a great team and individual day just was great. Hopefully that will change soon, would like to have some good college memories.

8. Goals for 2013?
I just want to change who I am as a runner it has been a rough couple years but at this point I'm not sick and completely healthy so no excuses just need to put myself where I feel I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment