Sunday, December 9, 2012

68th Interview University of New Mexico's Elmar Engholm

Interview #68th is about University of New Mexico's own Elmar Engholm
1. How did you get started in running?
My dad was a professional runner and my mom was a good runner and jumper so it is in my blood. I didn't start running until I was 15 as I played soccer and ice-hockey, which is big where I come from. I spent a year in Michigan running at high school when I turned 16 and went from there.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
It has to be experienced. There is nothing like being in "the zone" and finishin a race knowing you did your best. Some things cannot be experienced in the physical world and has to come from inside; running is one of those things.

3. What are you current PR's?
800: 1.49
1500: 3.44
Mile: 4.09
3k: 8.37
3k steeple: 9.01
8k XC: 24.27
10 XC: 30.36
The 30m "run-from-angry-German-person" dash: 2,7 seconds and a bruised knee

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
I eat a lot of pancakes and play video games! No, jokes aside the key is just managing your time and make good decisions. I build my days around practice and try to fit in several meals (diet is key) and studying at appropriate times. If I can balance my life sucess on the track and in the classroom comes with it.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
 I have the most respect for people who are dedicated to what they do. I have seen many super-talanted runners throw away their career by making dumb decisions, but equaly I have seen many less talanted runners dedicate themselves to the sport and be the best they can be. I love that. I think a runner like Seb Coe fits into these criterias and a college runner I look up to is my team mate Ross Millington. I also want to mention my bro Graham Thomas who may seem like an unlikely NCAA D1 runner but I know he works hard every day and it will pay off. You heard it from me first!

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best thing: Crossing the finish line and collapse 'cause you know you couldn't have gone faster!
Worst: Morning practice..

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
NCAA XC nationals was an awesome experience. So many fans, so many talanted runners! I ran my life's best race when I needed it the most!

8. Goals for 2013?
First off we want to put a DMR in NCAA indoor nationals. Personally for outdoors I want to run a sub-1.48 in the 800, a 3.40 in the 1500m, 14.15 in the 5k and 8.40 in the 3k steeple, but I am not limiting myself to any set times so only time and many miles will tell where I will end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment