Sunday, December 9, 2012

69th Interview Syracuse's Joey Whelan

The 69th Interview is about about Syracuse's own Joey Whelan
1. How did you get started in running?
I got involved with running because of my dad. My dad’s a runner and he always took me to his races when I was younger. I eventually ran a few races with him and saw some success and stuck with it.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
To be honest I often exaggerate and lie to the people who don’t understand distance running. I try to make our sport sound harder than other sports. I’m also known to lie about my track pr’s but I would never lie to you Derek Rubis. Never.

3. What are you current PR's?
Mile: 4:12, 3k: 8:30, 3k steeple: 8:53, 5k: 14:57, 8k(xc): 24:12, 10k(xc): 30:24

4.How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
Being a college Athlete-Student is all about managing time and priorities.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I’m a fan of any runner who breaks 13 in the 5k, 8:15 in the steeple and 27:30 in the 10k

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best: winning
Worst: losing

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
My favorite moment was winning the Big East team title in cross this year. It was Syracuse’s last year in the conference so it was very special.

8. Goals for 2013?
Stay healthy
Improve my PR's

No comments:

Post a Comment