Sunday, December 9, 2012

67th Interview Syracuse's Forrest Misenti

This Interview is about Syracuse's own Forrest Misenti and he is a newly uncle

1. How did you get started in running?
I began running because of my father. He’s somebody that I have always looked up to and I want to be like, so I followed his footsteps. My first 5k race I competed in was when I was 5 years old. In my first year of high school, I was pretty torn on whether I wanted to try and make it in snowboarding or just be a full time runner. I ended up snowboarding the entire indoor season instead of participating in indoor track, but that was my last year of missing any running seasons.
2 . What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
It’s hard to get those people to understand because our sport is so unique. For some reason I really enjoy the grind and pain from a hard race or workout, which doesn’t exactly make sense to even me.
3. What are you current PR's?
1500m – 3:50 (2009, outdoors) 5000 – 14:26 (2011, indoors) 10000m – 29:55 (2010, cross country)
4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
I try to manage my time to where I can fully dedicate myself to running and then complete everything necessary for school. Like most people, school stresses me out, so I try my best to avoid procrastination.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I spent a large amount of my running career looking up to Martin Fagan, but unfortunately he made decisions that have naturally changed some of my views. Many of my friends knew how heartbroken I was when it came out that he used EPO. Over the summer, I got the opportunity to run with one of my favorite runners of all time, Craig Mottram. He really gave a lot of people the hope and realization that through hard work, you really can bridge the gaps and compete with the “untouchable”. My favorite American is Matt Centrowitz because of his tenacity and drive to win. My final two are Kyle Heath and Chris Fox. Both individuals have shaped me and helped me become the runner I am today.
6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The best thing about distance running is the feeling you get after a very successful workout or race, especially as a team. It’s a hard feeling to replicate in other aspects of life, but I’m sure anyone reading this understands what I’m talking about. The worst is any injury taking you away from running. I had a long time of being undiagnosed with very deficient vitamin D level, which caused a lot of stress fractures and other issues (hence why I missed so many seasons of track at Syracuse).

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Winning Big East in 2010 at “home” (Jamesville, NY – Syracuse was host). It was an incredible feeling, especially to accomplish it in front of tons of Syracuse fans and my family. That day will always be special to me.
8. Goals for 2013?
This has been the longest time uninjured in a few years for me, so I’m fairly optimistic. I’d really like to run under 3:45 in the 1500m, 14:00 in the 5000m and 29:00 in the 10000m and to come away with a Big East title somewhere in there. My ultimate goal is to run fast enough to join a group when I graduate at the end of this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment