Tuesday, December 4, 2012

51st Interview University of Arkansas' Eric Fernandez

This interview is about University of Arkansas' Eric Fernandez

1. How did you get started in running?
I started running competitively when I was 12 for an AAU track club called the St. Louis Blazers. I had a really good youth Coach, Blair Porter, who became known for developing some of the best high schoolers in the St. Louis area. The real motivation to want to run actually started by running with my Dad so I could be in better shape for basketball and soccer, but I found out pretty quickly how much I loved racing.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I think that everyone has their own reasons for choosing the sport they play or most admire. And I think no matter what sport someone plays, everyone has a general understanding of the discipline it takes to run. So I just let everyone stay entitled to their opinion, but just let them know how fun races or training can be if you give it a real shot.

3. What are you current PR's?
My PRs are 28:37 10k, 13:53 5k (Indoors), 7:58 3k (Indoors)

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
Arkansas has great programs designed to help Student-Athletes manage their time and grades. So I only take 12 hours a semester, utilize or Academic Center, and have been known to write a paper on the 4 hour plane rides to the West coast. It's just all about time management.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I've always looked up to my old teammate Scott MacPherson, who now runs for Rogue in Austin, TX. He just taught me to always remember to have fun, both in training and racing, and if you're disciplined with your running, but also remember to not take it too seriously or over-think everything, the results come.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best thing is accomplishing goals, breaking barriers, and winning. Worst thing is those mornings when there's no motivation, but those are the times it really pays off to push through anyway.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
My favorite moments at Arkansas have been winning SEC titles. It's a real team effort, and we all sacrifice together to achieve our goal. Now we just need to come together and do it at the NCAA meet before I graduate!

8. Goals for 2013?
My goals are simply to win the SEC and NCAA team titles for Indoors, and to be a scoring member of our team at both meets. And the same for Outdoors. I also have the same 10k PR from my Freshmen year, so I think it's about time I knock that 28:37 down and get a much faster time under my belt!

No comments:

Post a Comment