Saturday, December 8, 2012

65th Interview University of New Mexico's Patrick Zacharias

This interview is of University of New Mexico's own Patrick Zacharias
1. How did you get started in running?
Back in 7th grade I ran a pretty quick mile in P.E. and it just so happened that the P.E. teacher was also the middle school cross-country coach. He ended up talking me into going out for the team that year…the rest is history.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I don’t really tell people anything. They all just think we’re missing a few screws, and I know they can never fully understand why we do what we do. Hell, I’m not even sure exactly what it is about distance running that makes it so addictive to me, but I find peace in my ignorance.

3. What are you current PR's?
5000m = 14:23
3000m = 8:16

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
My first two years I had a hell of a time with managing my school, running, and social life. But since transferring back to the University of New Mexico, I have really committed to getting my work done on and off the track, and not letting extraneous things get in the way. I think focus and positivity are key to dealing with the constant stressful schedule.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
Favorite professional runner is definitely Bernard Lagat. I spent a lot of time with him while at the University of Arizona, and he is such a humble and funny guy, its awesome to be around him.
For college runners, it’s definitely all of my teammates at both the University of Arizona and my new ones in New Mexico. All of those people are absolutely amazing, both as teammates and friends, and I am definitely blessed to have them all in my life.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best: The sense of achievement after working your ass off for so many months and seeing it all finally come together, along with all the awesome friendships you make in the process.
Worst: Injuries and the depression that can come with them. Also I’m not a huge fan of the cool
down run, so that’s definitely on there as well.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Winning conference as a team this year was pretty awesome, because it was the first championship win of my college career, and everyone back in New Mexico was siked about our accomplishment.

8. Goals for 2013?
Definitely to lower all of my PB’s, and get a 10k on the track in. Sub 14, sub 8, and maybe close to 29:15 in the 10k. Also getting a chance to run some miles indoors so lowering my PB in that as well.
But above all to just enjoy the ride, and make the most out of the second chance that Coach Franklin gave me at UNM.

No comments:

Post a Comment