Saturday, December 8, 2012

63rd Interview University Of Florida's JL Hines

This interview is about University Of Florida's own JL Hines
1. How did you get started in running?
 I got started in a few ways. Back in middle school I played lacrosse, basketball, and soccer and was very mediocre at all 3. My dad was training for a marathon when I was in 7th and 8th grade. I used to wake up before dawn (and before my lacrosse games) with him on Saturday mornings and ride my bike with his water bottle while he did his 20-22 miler. When I got to high school I was running around the track in gym class and our cross country coach asked me to run on the team.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I usually describe to people my normal day and normal mileage totals. I think that for those that don't get running competitively it's hard to explain a race but you can make them understand that in one week I've run the distance from Gainesville to my hometown of Orlando.

3. What are you current PR's?
Currently I've run:
1500m- 3:59
3000m- 8:26
5000m- 14:59
8k- 24:00 at Pre-Nats this year.
10000m- 30:40
2012 was a big breakout year for me.

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
It's not easy to balance school, athletics and a personal life. Obviously the biggest thing is time management and knowing the times of day where you are most productive. For me, it's the morning. I'll wake up a little earlier than I have to for practice to start working on school assignments or readings and have a second cup of coffee when practice is over to continue through the morning and early afternoon. I can't do work in the evenings. It's time for me to relax but some of my teammates are serious night owls and sleep during the day.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I'm a huge fan of running. It's crazy to be in college and race against some of the guys you looked up to while in high school but my favorite professionals have to be Cam Levins and Chris Solinsky. You have to admire the blue-collar work ethic they have. I try to approach my training the same way. And, being a runner that is never going to be 130 pounds, Solinsky gives a role model for the "big" runners.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best thing about distance running: The feeling of a breakout race. The payoff for all the hard work you've done.
Worst thing about distance running: Never being satisfied and always knowing your exact place on the totem poll. Which isn't all that bad when you think about it. It gives guys who have mild success, like myself, a reason to keep going. We still have so much more to achieve!

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
My favorite moment of my distance running career has to be helping my little brother through his tempo run last Christmas. He started running last year as a freshmen in high school and my dad is now the high school coach at my alma mater (he wasn't while I was there). Running has brought us boys closer than ever and I couldn't be happier or more proud of seeing my brother make his entrance to competitive running. He inspires me to never stop especially knowing that he is only 4 years behind me!

8. Goals for 2013?
I have a lot of goals for 2013. I had a big year in 2012 going from a 25:40 8k guy at SECs in 2011 to a 24:00 8k guy this past October. I hope to improve on my success and hopefully make the jump to the next level. 24-flat guys are a dime-a-dozen in today's NCAA and that's not what I want to be! I know that as long as I stay fit and healthy then my training will take me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment