Tuesday, December 4, 2012

42nd Interview My Lil' Bro DIII UW-Oshkosh John Dewitt

My 42nd Interview is one of my Lil' Bros, DIII UW-Oshkosh Distance Runner & 2012 XC All-American Distance Runner John Dewitt

1. How did you get started in running?
I actually started in elementary school as a part of a running club in my 4th grade class. I ran about 10 miles a week, and trained for the 5 mile Frostbite run in Stevens Point. After a few years of that, I fell away from running for awhile. I loved football and baseball, and always will. So, I played those all throughout my years, into my freshman year and for part of my sophomore year of high school. However, before the spring season of sports, I got convinced to give track and field a try. And, so I did, and I loved every bit of it. And that's when distance running truly became my passion.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
There really is something special about running. It is a lot of work, and at times, you absolutely hate it, but for the most part, it's awesome. It teaches you perseverance and work ethic. You grow as an athlete and an individual. Most importantly, you create a special bond with your teammates and your opponents. You all understand how hard everyone is working, and that brings people together. Through all our struggles, we persevere together.

3. What are you current PR's?
10k- 30:14
8k- 24:39
5k- 14:47

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
It actually makes college easier I think. Being a runner allows me to both de-stress when I'm having a rough day, and it allows me to block out my time better. Instead of wasting a bunch of time, I become more efficient with my time. I really do think it helps.
5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
Nick Willis. I've gotten the chance to sit down and talk with him, and I really like how his faith in Jesus Christ drives his running. He runs for the glory of the Lord, and I strive to do the same.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best- Getting to hang out with your best friends for over an hour, while getting in exercise
Worst- The feeling after a bad race. Knowing you had more, and just didn't use it. It's awful.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
You know, I've been fortunate to have a lot of great moments to choose from, but it's really hard to beat Cross Country Nationals 2012. I'd worked my whole career with the goal of being an All-American, and I'd come up short multiple times. But, finally, on my last chance in cross country, I ran a tough race, and gave it everything I had and crossed the line as an NCAA Division 3 All-American. It was an unbelievably fun trip, and an incredible moment of triumph for me as an athlete: to finally accomplish that goal I had set out for myself 4 years earlier. And it was so sweet. All glory be to the Lord Jesus Christ, who gives me strength.

8. Goals for 2013?
It's hard to pinpoint exact goals, but I just want to build off my performances from last track season and this past cross country season, and become better than I have ever been before.

No comments:

Post a Comment