Tuesday, December 4, 2012

49th Interview Brandon Dworak

This interview is about one of my best friends and my Bromance, Brandon Dworak

1. How did you get started in running?
I started running competitively when I was 11 years old. My mom got me into some road races and I started running Track & Cross Country at the beginning of junior high

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
A lot of people always say "I don't know you you do it," or "I could never do it." That is the first problem right there, if your mind isn't with it, you might as well not bother. I usually just respond "It's not for everybody."

3. What are you current PR's?
At this current times my PRs are: 5k: 14:52, 10k 31:04, 8k: 24:55, Half Marathon 1:07:17.

4. How do you manage being a college student & Boise State assistant coach with being a college
distance runner?
I will be honest I have to be pretty good at managing my time. Being a full time Grad Student at Boise State, being basically a full time Volunteer Assistant for the Cross Country and Track Teams, along with doing my own training/workouts can be overwhelming at times. What helps is that I can use our practice window to get my own miles in as well. The only time I really stray from what the team is doing is when I do my workouts. The team typically has their workouts in the afternoon at practice time. I will do mine in the morning to avoid conflict. When I am in the midst of a training block, I probably run twice a day 5-6 times a week. I got up to 150 miles a week this fall so that obviously involves a lot of time.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
Some of my favorite runners include: Dave Wottle, Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, and Pre. I am also a big fan of Chris Solinsky. I ran for Wisconsin-Stevens Point, that is Chris's hometown, so that made it even easier to admire him.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The best thing about being a distance runner is the places it can take you. Throughout my time competing in high school, collegiately, and post collegiate, i've got to travel to many really neat places, and most importantly made a lot of friendships with people I will share a common bond with forever.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Competing at the DIII XC National Championships in 2007 and 2008 were amazing experiences. However I would have to say my favorite moment was running in the USA Half Marathon Championships this past June. I not only ran my PR, but got to be around people like Abdi and Kara Goucher throughout the weekend which was pretty special. The hospitality they gave the field was also unbelievable. It was neat to get a taste of what it's like to be a professional runner.

8. Goals for 2013?
Really hoping for another breakthrough in 2013. As far as my goals I would like to get under 1:07 in the half. I also am looking to run a full marathon so I can enter Boston in 2014. It would also be nice to take a crack at some of my PR's in the shorter distances by getting into some track or road races. Should be a fun year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment