Wednesday, December 5, 2012

57th Interview Boise State's Barak Watson

This interview is about Boise State's Barak Watson and the newest member of #BEARDTC
1.How did you get started in running?
My dad got me into running. He ran a few marathons and would let me ride my bike with him. I told him I wanted to start running and he started going on shorter runs with me. Through out all the times running has been tough for me he’s always kept me going.

2.What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
It depends what they don’t get about it. For some it’s simply too much work or too hard, others simply just don’t enjoy it. One thing I tell people is that running becomes much more enjoyable the more you do it and the more fit you become.

3. What are you current PR's?
14:31 5k, 4:13 mile, 23:59 8k

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
Time management is key. Being good at anything takes diligence and you have to apply the same work and diligence you have in running to the other areas of your life.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
I’ve always been a fan of Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovette and all those guys duking it out in the 80s. I wish we could have some intense rivalries like that now. I’m also a fan of Haile Gebresalasi. He’s a great example of someone who uses his success to help others less fortunate than himself

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
The camaraderie that comes from being teammates on a distance team is great. There aren’t many other opportunities where you are given the chance to travel around the country together competing.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Winning the Chareles Bowles Invite in Salem or winning the GNAC conference 10k

8. Goals for 2013?
Throw down some fast times on the track and make it to nationals

No comments:

Post a Comment