Tuesday, December 4, 2012

44th Interview Iona's Own Matthew Gillespie

Another Interview and this time it is Iona's very own Matthew Gillespie

1. How did you get started in running?
The cops started chasing me and I've been hooked ever since!
Nah, I used to play a little known sport called Rugby and I wasn't very quick so I started running and I found I was ok at it so just kept it up, it's taken me some good places so I'm glad I took it up!

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I love running! But I totally get how some people don't get running; I usually just say I get it but give it a go! Also, call it jogging and people usually dig it a little more and that encourages them to start jogging.

3. What are you current PR's?
1500m - 3.48, 3000m - 8.12, 5000m - 13.57. Hopefully, I'll revise them soon but I'm happy with them all nonetheless!

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
It's pretty easy to be honest. My first degree in the UK was Law and that meant a firm commitment to academics and next to no commitment to running. In my time off from studying, I didn't really take it all that seriously... I partied and ran in equal measure. However, I started to wonder what if I took it seriously, what if I was really committed and that's when coming to the states became an option. Being here, my life is pretty much focused entirely on running. I have 9 hours of class a week and maybe about 3 hours of work so I'm all set really. If I can't get the best out of myself here; I won't be able to do it anywhere. It's an easy lifestyle.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
Professional - gotta be Galen Rupp... what he has done is nothing short of incredible. In a sport dominated by Kenyans he has shown us exactly what Americans (and of course Brits, you know a few hundred years ago he could well have been British) are capable of in distance running.

Collegiate - easy - Chris O'Hare - he's Scottish, I'm Scottish. I think the first time we raced must have been when we were about 10 years old (we're the same age and we were rivals for a while). He's a talented guy, he has worked hard and he puts himself on the line in races which is the perfect combination. I'd put money on him running a scary fast time this year!

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best Things - running miles with people and bantering away, running by myself and getting in the zone. Racing and running till you collapse. Running is one of the only sports in the world when you can race the best even if you are nowhere near their standard. I've raced Bekele, Farah AND Tadesse...
Also, the people you meet from it and the places it's taken me. I'd never have thought my running would take me to NYC and I'd never have thought I'd meet so many different people; just because of a hobby.
Worst things - Curbed social life, coping with high mileage(I like high mileage though), my sickness condition which is really painful at times and hinders my racing ability a lot of the time, early mornings sometimes.. don't get me wrong I love running though

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Breaking 14 mins for 5k was a big deal for me. I did it off 40 miles a week and the deal in my head was if I don't break 14; it's not worth pursuing it over in the states which is essentially full-time. I'd probably have just got a job instead and just ran for fun. Also, Wisconsin Adidas Invitational was huge for me as it showed what I'm capable of. It hasn't gone well for me since then; I've had health issues but I have them under control now. At the end of the day, it's just a sport and I'll be back running well in January/February so it's fine.

8. Goals for 2013?
Contributing to the Iona team as best I can. We had an awful day at NCAA XC and people in this team have to step up to rectify that next year. I'm going to be one of them. I'm going to throw everything into that, ensure my teammates do the same and enjoy the grind along the way and fast times, good races and lots of hard work will be instrumental in that! It'll be a great laugh along the way though!

No comments:

Post a Comment