Tuesday, December 4, 2012

47th Interview Marquette's Jack Hackett

This interview is of Marquette's own Jack Hackett

1. How did you get started in running?
I got started running in 7th grade because two of my friends Evan Ross and Mark Allen were doing it, and I didn't want to be the kid on the block who didn't.

2. What do you tell people that don't get our sport of distance running?
I tell people that after 4 or 5 years it isn't that bad...no really I tell them it's fun, good for you, and helps clear your mind.

3. What are you current PR's?
Current PR's 800: 1:55 from way back in high school, despite trying to run it several times in college. Mile: 4:06.6. 3k: 8:08. 5k: 14:14 10K: 30:04

4. How do you manage being a college student with being a college distance runner?
I don't really manage it, hasn't been much of a stress and if anything being in season helps keep me on a tighter schedule.

5. Who are your favorite professional and/or college distance runner(s) past and/or present & why?
My favorite athletes: Allan Webb was one of the first guys I really liked, guy just put it all out there. So awesome watching the 2007 outdoor champs, probably my favorite race of all time. Keneisa Bekele is another one of my favorites, just one of the purest runners you'll ever see. I could just watch him run and be entertained. Collegiate runners: I like my teammates. I really liked Dan Clarke from ND on the starting line of my first big east final he says to me "lets show them how the big midwest does it" and he went off and killed the field. I like the whole ND crew really, always been nice and sporting. Also they keep kicking my ass, and I really want to get some revenge.

6. Best or Worst thing about being a distance running?
Best part is the musculature I've developed. I'm ready to fight anytime... but really it just makes me happy. Worst part is when it's negative 10 and there is a windchill and you don't have a race for a while. Sometimes it's hard to get out there.

7. Your Favorite Moment of your distance running career?
Favorite moment was easily my senior year of high school. Two parts to it. First day of state one of my best friends and I had talked about going 1-2 in the mile for about a year and how awesome that'd be and how we were going to do it. Then Keegan Calmes and I did it, led to a pretty awesome picture of us post race, that I still think he's embarrassed about! The other was the 4 by 8 and kicking down another of my friends, when I almost didn't think we'd be able too, and sharing that with 3 of my other good friends. That whole weekend was something else.

8. Goals for 2013?
Goals for this year are to beat a lot of people. I want to qualify for nationals in either the 5k or 10k and be top three at Big East. That's something I've wanted to do since I got to Marquette, so it'd be nice to get it finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment